Sunday, November 4, 2018

Winning in Losing

In investing, there's such a term called "cut loss" where traders are advised to withdraw on a particular trade to minimize on losses before the situation goes from bad to worse. Despite the possibility of it becoming better, one has to deicide to cut loss to derail it from further spiraling downward and to prevent one from losing everything. The term is easily applicable in life and can take many different forms. People may see it as folding (for poker fans out there) while others may coin it as simple as quitting or even letting go. 

In the work place, it's easier to decide to cut loss especially when you have triggers or levels as to when to cut your losses. However, in life - when all circumstances and emotions take play -when what you're about to lose is a lot more intangible than money and when there is no real gauge as to when to give up  cutting losses becomes a bit more complicated.

Personally, I've always had a hard time letting go. I've grown up believing that if you try hard enough, something good will eventually come out. I've believed that despite all odds, quitting is never an option. However, throughout life, I've realized that life is less about fighting hard but more about fighting smart. Although it is important to fight, it is also largely important to choose your battles as not all battles can be won - neither are they worth all those scars.

Choosing to wean out opportunities – let alone people is never an easy decision to make but a necessary one. We may have different reasons for letting go but more than anything, one should remember this important takeaway:

THERE IS WINNING IN LOSING.

What I like about the term 'cut loss' is that the concept is winning in itself. Despite realizing a loss, one has saved oneself from a far greater fall - that in itself is a capital W.

We may never understand why opportunities and people leave as quickly as they arrive, or why we have to experience whatever it is that we experienceNonetheless, it is important to remember that every experience is a lesson in itself - and that is actually a win.

There were numerous instances where I've cried and battled with God on certain situations/people where He would tell me to let go, but I just wouldn’t. However, in the end, I had realized that I was saying no to the God who lost everything so that I could win. And so, all I can do is trust --

Trust that whatever has been lost would be replaced.

Trust that whatever seed that has been planted will never go in vain.

Trust that the God who holds your story perfectly is weaving in a beautiful new chapter just as He has weaved out an old one.

Trust that God is teaching you to let go of something that so that He can put some space for something even better.

Here's an unconventional advice: Quit. Let go. Cut loss. It’s OK.

You would never know what more God has in store for you if you didn't.

"For I know the plans I have for you declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future." -Jeremiah 29:11



No comments:

Post a Comment