Monday, May 9, 2016

I am for the Philippines

May 9, 2016.

Some dates are more special than others. Historically, in the 9th of May, oldest diplomatic ties were made and countries were liberated. It, too, is the birth date of my very handsome father (Naks, Happy Birthday, Father Martin!). Truly, this date can be important to some while to another, it may be just another normal day. 

May 9, 2016, however, is something important for every Filipino. It is date where Filipinos can make a difference. It a day that could shape the next 6 years of our lives. Well hello Election Day!

I've always been fond of politics. Even before I was a teenager, I remember being able to tell different Philippine Senatoriables and their respective parties. Back then, I was so hopeful that our leaders could instill change. I was hopeful that our leaders can alleviate the state of Filipinos. I won't lie, in spite of all the corruption and the numerous disappointments in our government, I still have that tinge of hope that our leaders can deliver a better country.

This year's elections is the first time that I'd get to exercise my right to vote and I always thought that there's such great pride on being able to make a difference for our country. Oh what great right and responsibility it is to hold the power to be able to elect the next set of leaders that could make a nation great.

Much to my disappointment, I found this year's elections not appealing at all. It was, in fact, appalling. It was just a pain to watch. 

Throughout the months leading to elections, I've seen people fight over different candidates. Friendships have been broken. Relationships within families have been scarred. Heck, I've seen a fellow Filipino wish death and all other terrible things to another.

Curses instead of discourses. Dirt instead of platforms. Bickerers instead of statesmen (And no, I'm not referring to just one candidate). People fought and there were so many casualties. As a result, we became a divided nation.

My heart cries for this country. What happened to us? Have we gotten that low? 

I'm not going to be a hypocrite about any of this. I admit that sometimes a lot of times, I, too, found myself forcing my views on others. I have candidates whom I just feel strongly about and those that just makes my blood boil (Hey, I'm only human too).

However, despite this, I look back and question, what are we really fighting about? Are we not just fighting for the same country? Do we not just want the same outcome for our country?

It's time to stop with all these petty fights. Transcend beyond the candidate and stand for our country. In the end, we are a nation with one goal: a better Philippines. And this we can do because I believe that God is sovereign over our nation. All these leaders have one denominator in common - they're human and they're bound to make mistakes. So we put our hope on the One who can. In this kind of situation all we can do is pray - pray that God will anoint the right leaders into place and pray for a unification for our country. 

This elections will pass just as all these leaders will pass. But we, as a nation, cannot move forward divided.

I am Bea, I am not for Miriam nor for Duterte, not Mar nor Poe not Binay, I am for the Philippines.

Happy Voting everyone! God bless the Philippines!

Go out and vote!

No comments:

Post a Comment